The University strives to make the campus a safe environment. It employs a campus police department, has emergency phones placed across the University, posts Be On the Look Out bulletins, established an emergency notification system, updates a daily crime log, and offers self-defense courses. However, in the end, personal safety depends on your actions and the precautions you take.
The following are personal safety tips that should be practiced by everyone to ensure their safety:
- Memorize Campus Police’s emergency phone number 956-882-2222.
- When you go out, let someone know where you are going and when you plan to be back.
- Stay alert to your surroundings and the actions of people around you.
- When traveling at night, travel in groups of two or more and always walk in well-lit, heavily traveled areas.
- Learn the best routes between your residence hall and your classes and activities. Take the safest route, not the fastest route.
- Stay on the part of the sidewalk that is farthest away from shrubs, dark doorways, and alleys.
- Try to walk in a confident, relaxed manner. Make brief eye contact when approaching strangers.
- Contact Campus Police if you are working or studying late. Ask them to escort you to your car when you leave.
- Trust your instincts. If you feel uncomfortable in a place or situation, change directions, go to an emergency phone, into a public building, or call Campus Police.
Be On the Look Out (BOLO) Bulletins
Campus Police posts descriptions, photographs, or composite drawings of suspects, when available, of cases that are of interest to the campus community. These can be found on the Be On the Look Out (BOLO) bulletins Web page.
Annual Campus Safety and Security Report
Each year, the Annual Campus Safety and Security Report is released to provide information to the campus community about campus security resources, policies, and crime statistics.
In case of an emergency, three types of emergency phones are available throughout campus.
- Island phones – Found in lawns and corridors (blue light phones)
- Yellow boxes – Found inside buildings
- Elevator phones – There are several versions of elevator phones throughout the campus. They all operate the same way. Old ones might require opening their door compartment in order to make a call.
Press the call button on emergency phones once to dial Campus Police.