Providing a safe learning environment has always been our top priority. In that same regard, we need to understand that safety is also an individual responsibility. In an effort to promote pedestrian safety, Campus Police would like to remind the campus community of some important safety tips:
- Cross the street only at marked crosswalks or intersections.
- Make eye contact with motorists before indicating your intention of crossing in front of them.
- Stand clear of hedges, parked cars or other obstacles before crossing so drivers can see you.
- Always walk on the sidewalk. If there is no sidewalk, walk facing traffic.
- Obey traffic signals such as WALK/DON’T WALK signs.
- If the intersection has a pedestrian signal, press the button and wait for the pedestrian signal to display the “WALK” indicator.
- Be aware of your surroundings. Do not wear headphones or use your cell phone (including texting) while crossing.
These safety tips were provided as a reminder to exercise caution when crossing roadways and to utilize designated crosswalks.
If you have any questions regarding pedestrian safety or other safety concerns, please contact Campus Police at (956) 882-8232.