One West University Boulevard, Brownsville, Texas 78520 | 956-882-8200

Hotel Occupancy Tax Exemption

Institutions of higher education are exempt from state taxes at hotels within Texas. Employees on University-related business can receive the exemption by presenting a State of Texas Occupancy Tax Exemption Certificate upon check-in. This form replaces all previously used tax-exempt cards or certificates. Employees should have their University ID with them when presenting the certificate.

A hotel or lodging establishment can request University employees pay tax, pending verification of the tax exemption from the Comptroller’s office. State of Texas Hotel Occupancy taxes may not be claimed for reimbursement from the University.

For more information, see the Resources section or contact the Purchasing Office at 956-882-6553.

For comments and questions, please contact the Webmaster.