- use SSH rather than Telnet to access resources on a computer
SSH - Google's Directory
- use secured FTP (sftp) rather than ftp for downloads from a computer (If you have a server, make secured FTP available on your servers and encourage users to use secured FTP rather than FTP for downloads)
Secure FTP - Google Search
- keep your machines updated with the latest patches
Windows Update - Microsoft.com
- have a personal firewall installed on your computer (Select the option whereby all Internet communication stops when computer is locked or goes to screen-saver)
Personal Firewall - Google's Directory
- disable your computer's network card if you are not going to access the network... enable it when you are going to use the network...
Further information & Security Tips The IT Security & Policy Office at UT Austin
How to safeguard your computer?
Some of the responsibilities of network users
A Summary of UTBTSC Network Use Policies
What is restricted on the network?
We cannot go into the detail of how firewalls and routers are configured on campus, however, there are certain restrictions that may be in place in future that will impact network users. Some of these are as follows:
- A network port will be locked to a certain "registered" MAC address (get separate network connections if you are currently using a switch/router or a hub)
- An assigned IP may only be used on its designated device with a certain MAC address
- 802.1x authentication may be implemented. This will require a user to enter the assigned username/password to access the network
InfoSec Glossary - UT Information Technology Services