Study Room Policies & Procedures
Obtain a study room
- Study rooms are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
- All UTB or TSC student, faculty and/or staff members must present their current UTB or TSC ID card in order to check out and renew a study room key from the Library & Research Services Desk. These rooms are not available for use by the general public.
- Study rooms may be occupied for a 3-hour time period. However, if additional time is needed after the initial 3-hour limit has expired, and no one is waiting for the room in use, the patron may renew the study room at the Library & Research Services Desk for an additional amount of 3 hours. The time limit can NOT exceed 6 hours. Room renewals will only be allowed at the discretion of Library staff. The 3-hour policy will be strictly enforced to allow fair access to the study rooms.
- A waiting list for study room use will be kept when all study rooms are occupied. Your name can be added to the study room waiting list at the Library & Research Services Desk located on the 1st floor of the University Library. This is not a reservation. When signing up you must provide a valid UTB or TSC ID number, cell phone number or email address so that the library may contact you. A text message or email will be sent to the patron notifying them that a room has become available for check out. The patron then has 10 minutes to check out the study room with their UTB or TSC ID card at the Library & Research Services Desk. If the patron does not arrive within the allotted time, a text message or email is sent to the next patron on the waiting list.
- To respect our users' privacy, library staff will not inform users what study room their friends, roommates, classmates and so forth are using or who is on the waiting list.
- Bottled containers and cups with lids are permitted.
- Excessive, noise and/or disruptive behavior will result in suspension of study room privileges. Study rooms are not sound proof.
- If a patron needs to step out for a break, the study room key must be left with the library staff before exiting the building. We will only hold the key for 5 minutes, if the student does not return after the 5 minute break, the library staff and/or Security Guard will remove all personal items (laptop, iPod, purse, bag pack, books, etc.) from the study room to allow someone else the opportunity to use the study room.
- If student does not return key to the Library & Research Services Desk, student will be blocked from registration. Campus Police will be notified to make contact with student. If student returns the key between 2-4 days, overdue fine is $5.00. If student returns the key after 5 days, overdue fine is $10.00.
- Monitors in 3rd floor study rooms are for educational purposes only.
- No food is allowed.
- Playing games is not permitted.
- Please be courteous and vacate the room when your time is up. Please pull the door shut and return the key to the Library & Research Services Desk. Study rooms are kept locked at all times when not in use.
- Please do not move furniture into or out of the study rooms.
- Student must observe library regulations, and leave the room in good order. Users of the rooms are responsible for any damage in the room. The student using the room is responsible to the Library for the replacement cost of $10.00 for a lost/stolen study room key.
- Study rooms are meant to support academic study and research.
- Study rooms must be vacated 15 minutes before the library closes.
- The Library is not responsible for personal items left unattended in these rooms. All items left in the study rooms will be turned in to UTB Campus Police. Library is not responsible for theft or damage to personal property.
- The Library reserves the right to relocate individuals from one study room to another.
- The lights must remain on at all times.
- Windows in rooms may not be covered at any time.
- Study room privileges may be suspended if these rules are not followed and if patrons violate the Library Patron Rights and Responsibilities. Disruptive conduct will not be tolerated and referred to the Dean of Students Office.