Texas General Land Office Winter Beach Clean Up will be on Saturday, February 9, 2012 9 a.m. to noon. Don't forget to wear closed-toed shoes, sunscreen, and hats (or umbrellas, as the case may be). We will provide water and gloves. Remember that you do not have to pay to enter the park. Let the park attendant know that you are coming for the beach clean up. For more information contact Faith Ballesteros at (956)772-9828.
Pedal the Park at Resaca de la Palma State Park: Volunteers are needed on Saturday February 16 from 8 a.m. – Noon. Volunteers will assist with registration, guided tours, and other family activities. Please contact Rose Timmer at (956)882-5067 or email@example.com for more information. Flyer
The Rio Grande Valley Regional Science and Engineering Fair are looking for volunteers interested in helping the Rio Grande Valley’s next generation of scientists by donating some time at the 53rd Annual RGV Regional Science and Engineering Fair on February 15 & 16, 2013 at the REK Center on the Main Campus or ITEC Center. Volunteers may assist at registration, tally rooms, hospitality rooms, score rooms, awards ceremonies, etc. Information on final assignments will be provided the date of the event. Deadline to volunteer is February 14th. Register Here
- Feb 13th- 14th, 2012 - Homeless Youth Program for First Year Seminar Students - At Salon Cassia (EDBC).
Monday session times: 11am, 1pm, and 2pm.
Tuesday session times: 9:25am,10:50am, and 12:15pm.
- Feb 28th, 29th, 2012 - Project 100% -At The Student Union from
6:00pm to 7:30pm. Project 100%, a project of the Center for Civic Engagement, will be hosting a candidate forum for :
- 28th - The U.S. Congressional races. Flyer
- 29th - The Cameron County District Attorney and State House of
Representatives for Districts 37 & 38 races. Flyer
- March 12th,13th, and 14th, 2012 - Alternative Spring Break - Health fair and craft activities for Children's After School Tutorial Program/Proyecto Juan Diego. At Brownsville Parks and Recreation at 1338 E 8th St Brownsville Tx.
- March 24th, 2012 - "Biggest Loser" Event - Su Clinica Familiar will be hosting this event at their new site located at 105 E. Alton Gloor. Volunteers needed to help with patient education, registration, clinic advocacy and a variety of health related issues. Apply before March 16th. Contact Terri Lievanos at (956)365-6049 for more information.
- March 31st, 2012 - Second Workshop Ponder's Backyard - Volunteers needed to greet people at the door, to help serve the Dirt Cake, and to help the kids with their crafts. Contact Rose Timmer from Healthy Communities of Brownsville, Inc at (956)882-5067 or visit www.healthybrownsville.org for more information.
- April 5th, 2012 - Kids Voting - Due date for Kids Voting USA-Brownsville Art and Multimedia Contest. Topic is “The Voting Process Does Your Vote Count?”.
- April 7th,2012 - Brownsville Farmers Market - Volunteers needed to work with kids making Easter Bonnets. Contact Rose Timmer from Healthy Communities of Brownsville, Inc at (956)882-5067 or visit www.healthybrownsville.org for more information.
- April 14th, 2012 - Great American Clean Up - Volunteers needed for 4 different locations around Brownsville. There will be t-shirts, food and lots of trash to pick up. Contact Rose Timmer from Healthy Communities of Brownsville, Inc at (956)882-5067 or visit www.healthybrownsville.org for more information.
- April 20th-22nd, 2012 - Earthfest - Start Friday with camping at Lincoln Park and ends on Sunday with a music festival. Volunteers needed for all of the events. Contact Rose Timmer from Healthy Communities of Brownsville, Inc at (956)882-5067 or visit www.healthybrownsville.org for more information.
- April 21st, 2012 - Brownsville Biggest Loser, Nature Walk and Fitness Day - At Lincoln Park, 8:30am. Breakfast will be served. Flyer
- April 25th, 2012 - Project 100% - Candidate’s Forum for Local Elections at the Student Union from 6:00pm to 7:30pm. We invite the campus and Brownsville community to submit their questions for the candidates seeking a position on the TSC Board of Trustees. Questions considered for use at the forum must be submitted by Thursday, April 12, 2012. Please submit your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- May 21-23, 2012 - 35th Annual Teaching Public Administration Conference - At South Padre Island, Texas. Confrence theme: "Diversity and Civic Engagement in Teaching Public Administration". Click here for more information.
- June 4-July 27, 2012 - Browne Summer Camp - Volunteers needed Monday through Thursday 8:00am to 1:00pm. For more information contact Browne Social Service Center at (956)831-1506 located at 9901 California Rd. Brownsville ,Tx.78521 or email email@example.com
- The City of McAllen and the U.S. Census Office of Denver, invite you to attend the upcoming workshops on August 28th and 29th. All registration will be online through UTPA: Click Here. Spacing is limited to 20 seats at UTPA and 40 seats at the McAllen Public Library. Please register no later than August 21, 2012.
- Using Census Data for Community Analysis
The "Community Analysis" workshop will train participants on using the most relied-on source for detailed, up-to-date socio-economic statistics covering every community in the Rio Grande Valley.
- Using Census Data for Grant Writing
The Grant Writing workshop will train participants on using the most relied-on source for detailed, up-to-date socio-economic statistics covering every community in Texas
- Tuesday, August 28, 2012 -- 8:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
Community Engagement & Student Success Building (CESS 1.201)
1407 E. Freddy Gonzalez Dr.
Edinburg, TX 78539
- Wednesday, August 29, 2012 -- 8:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
McAllen Public Library
4001 N. 23rd St. McAllen, TX 78504
- Neo-Modern Introspections - Opening September 8, 2012 from 7-10pm at The Cultural Center located at 1452 E. Madison St. and corner of 15th St. Brownsville, TX. Flyer
- Welcome Back Parents Fair - Friday, September 21 at Brownsville Events Center from 9am to 11am. Healthy Communities will set up a table but needs volunteers to distribute and sign up volunteers for upcoming events.
- Literacy Fair - Wednesday Sept 19 from 3:30 to 5:30pm at Brownsville Literacy Center at 245 E Levee St. Need volunteers to man the table and distribute our information about Healthy Communities of Brownsville.
- Join the Sierra Club and Rep. Lucio for a lively discussion about how local leaders should prepare for the energy crunch and what is being done to encourage builders to go green.
Click Here for more details.
- Palo Alto Battlefield NHP 10th Annual Memorial Illumination - Volunteers needed to create luminarias for the memorial. The luminarias can be made at home or at the Palo Alto Battlefield Visitor Center. Click Here for more information.
- Health Literacy Education Symposium - Wednesday, October 3, Brownsville Event Center
9am to 12 noon. Take survey at this event.
- Community Garden on 7th and Madison is getting ready to start designing and planting a community garden. Call 956-882-5067 for details. Outside work.
- Project Rio Reforestation XXI - Volunteers needed to plant tree and shrub seedlings on Saturday, October 13 from 8:00am to Noon. Please call Valley Proud Environmental Council at (956)412-8004 for more details and directions to planting site located outside Brownsville in Cameron County. Flyer
- Brownsville will be hosting the 1st Annual Walk to End Alzheimer’s on Saturday, October 13, 2012 at the University of Texas at Brownsville and Texas Southmost College Campus. Registration begins at 7:30am, Opening Ceremony begins at 8:30am, Walk begins at 9am. For Registration, Sponsorship opportunities, or to set up a table at the event please call Edward C. Camarillo: (956) firstname.lastname@example.org or Julie Cuvillier (956) email@example.com.
- America Recycles Day! - Healthy Communities of Brownsville will be hosting several events to promote a recycles day in Brownsville. Visit www.americarecyclesday.org to organize or RSVP to an event.
- Healthy Communities of Brownsville is having a winter Fundraiser on Saturday, December 1 at the Brownsville Farmers’ Market. We are asking for donations of gently used cookbooks from the public to resell or recycle back to the public. Please call Rose Timmer at 956-882-5067, Joette at 956-542-3501 or Sharon Putegnat at 956-5411-6422 to pick up any donations.
- Washington Park Lighting Ceremony will be taking place on December 6th, 2012 from 6pm to 9pm. For more information please contact Shannon Guerrero at (956)655-1065 or by email firstname.lastname@example.orgD
- Trasionists Fashion Show will be taking place on Friday December 7th. 2012 starting at 2pm at St. Joe School, Student Center, 101 Saint Joseph Drive. This public event will be free, and everyone is invited to participate. Contact Becky Thompson at (956)542-3581 for more information.
- Christmas Lighting at Market Square-Friday, December 14 from 6pm to 9pm.
- Jolly Hike Night will be at Resaca de la Palma State Park of Old Military Highway. Friday, December 14 from 6 to 9pm. For more information, please contact: Claudia Lozano, REM email@example.com
Service/Service learning/Internship Opportunities
History, government, business or communication students
The Brownsville Chamber of Commerce has numerous historic files that are a fantastic representation of the Chamber’s 75 years of service to the Brownsville community. We have sought the advice of the Brownsville Historical Association (BHA). They are in agreement that this collection needs to be properly housed and conserved for future generations. We are looking for a team of students to work with a project manager to help organize and archive the files. The organization of the files is priority of this project. It is recommended by the BHA the files should be separated by topic and then by year. An accession system should be set up to make it easier to find files and each piece of the collection will need to be assigned a number.
The Chamber gathers data for the ACCRA-Cost of Living Survey. The Brownsville Chamber of Commerce receives pricing report forms each quarter that require research and documentation for almost 60 categories such as grocery items, housing, utilities, mortgage quotations, transportation, health care, and miscellaneous goods and services. Over a three day period, the prices are compiled and the research data is submitted to ACCRA for evaluation and later for publication.
The ACCRA Cost of Living Index measures differences and compares more than 300 cities in the cost of consumer goods and services, scoring a city's affordability on a scale of 100. According to ACCRA, Brownsville's rate of 90.3% in the first quarter of 2012 meant it has below-average costs. The Cost of Living Survey is a great economic development tool. It measures relative price levels for consumer goods and services in participating areas. Interested parties can view the “Cost of Living Index Calculator” which allows viewers to make cost of living comparisons between Brownsville and other participating communities. The calculator uses continuously updated data pulled directly from the highly regarded ACCRA Cost of Living Index to make these comparisons.
Additionally, we would like to have assistance in gather monthly demographic information and charting it. i.e. sales taxes, hotel occupancy taxes, bridge crossings, bank deposits and other.
We are looking for students to assist us with gathering pricing information quarterly and demographic information monthly.
Contact for items above:
Angela R. Burton, IOM, CPM
Brownsville Chamber of Commerce
Center for Civic Engagement Activities
- Better Block Washington Street event will be on Saturday October 27, 2012 from 3pm-9pm at Washington Street Area Surrounding Stillman House Museum. Flyer
- City of Brownsville staff along with PUB will begin to put up the shade
tarps at Market Square beginning on Thursday.
- Pop-up shops, musicians, artists, poets, and street vendors are
ready to go.
- Many of the surrounding restaurants will be participating with
outdoor dining and a few will be offering healthier selected menu
- Boca Chica Beach Clean-up will be on November 17th, 2012 from 10am to 1pm. The clean-up will be hosted by by UTB's UNIV 1101.28 Class. Flyer
City of Brownsville events
Summer 2012 Activities
- 2012 HomeOwners Expo at Brownsville Event Center on June 23, 2012 from 8am to 12pm. Free Admissions. Great information on owning an affordable home. Door Prizes, food, fun and Music.
- Better Block Brownsville Meeting will be held on Thursday, June 7th,2012 at 5:30pm at HR Training Room on the 4th Floor City Hall, 1001 E.Elizabeth St.
- Free Surfing Day Clinic for Children hosted by Surfrider Foundation will be held on Wednesday, June 20, 2012 from 8:30am to 3:00pm. Contact Rob Nixon for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (956)433-1472
- Mexica, an exhibition of paintings by Mark Clark on Sunday, June 10, 2012 from 2-4pm at the New McAllen Public Library at 23rd and Nolana.
- League of Women Voters membership meeting Wednesday, June 13th, 5:30pm at the historic Cueto building located at Madison and East 13th St. in downtown Brownsville.
- Amazing Movie & Laser Lights Show on Friday, June 15, 2012 from 8pm to midnight at Downtown Brownsville-the parking lot on Adams St. between 10 and 11 sts.
- THE GARNIER GREENER TOUR will be coming to Brownsville and Chorpus Christi to encourage recycling. Shoppers Can Learn How To Recycle Beauty All Packaging, Get Free Samples And Earn Free Mini-Styling at Interactive, Educational Tour.
June 6, 2012 – Wal-Mart Parking Lot (2721 Boca Chica Blvd., Brownsville, TX 78521)
June 7, 2012 – Wal-Mart Parking Lot (3500 W. Alton Gloor Blvd., Brownsville, TX 78520)
June 8, 2012 – Wal-Mart Parking Lot (1801 W. Lincoln St., Harlingen, TX 78552)
June 10, 2012 – Wal-Mart Parking Lot ( 3829 US Highway 77, Corpus Christi, TX 78410)
June 11, 2012 – Wal-Mart Parking Lot (1821 S. Padre Island Dr., Corpus Christi, TX 78416)
- Brownsville Chamber of Commerce is commemorating its 75th plus anniversary by hosting a banquet and would like to extend an invitation for you to join them. The event will take place at the Brownsville Events Center on Thursday, July 26, 2012 from 5:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- The Big CleanUP contest challenges students to remove plastic from the waste stream and earn money for their school. Prizes include a school visit from Philippe Cousteau and others, film passes, and more. Click Here for more information.
- Better Block Brownsville Event (Make a Difference Day) will be on Saturday, October 20, 2012 from 9am - 3pm at Market Square. Flyer
§ City of Brownsville staff along with PUB will begin to put up the shade
tarps at Market Square beginning on Thursday.
§ Pop-up shops, musicians, artists, poets, and street vendors are
ready to go.
National Public Lands Day - Laguna Atascosa National Wildlife Refuge (Cameron County) Clean up the Laguna Madre for wildlife! Pick up litter along the shoreline of the Laguna Madre on September 29, 2012 from 8:00 am to 12:00 pm. Call 956-748-3607 to register with the Ranger.
Santa Ana National Wildlife Refuge - Give back to your refuge with a morning trail clean up from 9:00AM to Noon. Call 956-784-7500 for directions and more information.
Fall Beach Clean Up - Will be on Saturday, September 22, 2012 from 9 a.m. to noon. Water will be provided and park entrance is free to beach cleanup volunteers. Contact Faith Ballesteros for more information at (956)772-9828.
- 15th Annual Texas Recycling and Sustainability Summit hosted by State of Texas Alliance for Recycling (STAR), is scheduled to be on October 21-24, 2012. This event is the only state conference dedicated entirely to the needs and interests of those in the recycling and sustainability fields, with approximately 400 attendees representing entities and organizations from across Texas.
- Keep America Beautiful and Nestlé Waters North America will be hosting the second annual Recycle-Bowl Youth Recycling Competition. Registration for this incentive-based recycling competition is now open to all U.S. schools at the Recycle-Bowl website. At the close of the four-week competition (Oct. 15-Nov. 9), the school in each state that collects the most recyclable material per capita will win $1,000. A national champion will then be chosen from among the statewide winners.
- CycloBia is a free event that will take place on November 4, 2012 from 10am to 3pm. Some streets in Brownsville will become temporarily car-free for about 5 hours for families to run, ride bikes, take exercise classes and enjoy their city streets. Click Here for more information
- Belden Trail Friends-Clean up will be on Saturday, November 17th at 10am at Sunrise Rotary Park on 1245 Palm Blvd. Registration begins at 10am. Call Rose at 956-882-5067.
- Dune Restoration Planting Projects for the 2012/13 season will begin this Saturday, November 17th at 9AM at the end of Harbor Street on South Padre island. Click Here for more information.
- Oct. 12th-15th, 2011 Book Fair - At ITEC. Volunteers needed to help with BISD students from 9am to 1pm and from 2pm to 6pm.
Sat. October 22, 2011 Make a Difference Day - Volunteers needed to help community partners throughout Brownsville.
- Oct. 24-28 KMBH Pledge Drive - Volunteers needed from 7am to 11am or from 4pm to 8pm. Contact KMBH at 1-800-433-2522 or (956)421-4111.
- Sat. October 29, 2011 4-7pm 3rd Annual Halloween Fair - At Buena Vida Housing Development. Volunteers welcome to help with different games & activities.
- Fri. September 16, 2011 11am-1pm Constitution Day Voting Drive - Come out and register to vote! Volunteers dress up in the 80’s are welcome.
Sat. September 24, 2011 Save Isla Blanca - Light breakfast 7:30am at Cueto Building Leaving 8am to SPI Beach clean-up 9am-12pm. Lunch will be provided. Volunteers needed for the beach clean-up