The Mathematics and Science Academy will admit 50-60 students in the Fall of 2015. Only Texas high school sophomores are eligible to apply, although younger students may be admitted on a case-to-case basis.
Requirements for the Class of 2017
- Applicants must be residents of Texas.
- The Scholastic Assessment Test (SAT I) must be taken in the sophomore year. The score should be competitive with those of Texas college-bound high school seniors planning to major in math, science, or engineering (1070 composite score for Math and Reading with a minimum of 500 in both areas). PLEASE SEND YOUR SCORES TO UTRGV Code: 6568
- Transcripts of all school work from the ninth through tenth grades.
- Completion of Algebra I, Algebra II, and Geometry prior to Academy entry.
- If the Algebra II requirement has not been met, please contact the MSA Principal
- A completed application, including a student essay and recommendations from a school administrator, mathematics, science, and English teachers.
- An on-campus interview.
- Proof of Bacterial Meningitis Vaccination*