News and Events
Funding Opportunity number: ED-GRANTS-051115-001 -
Title: Office of Postsecondary Education (OPE): First in The World (FITW) Program: DEVELOPMENT Grants CFDA Number 84.116F
If interested, please submit a Pre-Proposal to the Office of Sponsored Programs by
Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner Post Master's Certificate
Nurses interested in the Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner Post Master's Certificate may now apply to the UTRGV Graduate School through Apply Texas at www.applytexas.org.
Applicants must have a Master's of Science in Nursing degree and have successfully completed the "3 P's" (Advanced Pathophysiology, Physical Assessment, & Pharmacotherapuetics).
Texas RN-BSN Rural Nurse Residency Program -
Special Opportunity for new BSN Graduate Nurses Who Want to Practice in a Rural Area. Now Accepting Applications for May 2015 BSN Graduates. Download application here.
Are you a new BSN nurse? Will you be graduating from a RN to BSN program or a generic BSN program? Do you want to practice in a rural setting? Are you looking for a nurse residency program? We have an online rural nurse residency program just for you!
The Academic Progression in Nursing Grant (APIN2) is leading an effort for a 2015 Rural Nurse Residency. The low number of Rural nurses prepared at the BSN level is extremely low.
The Robert Wood Johnson (RWJ) grant has dedicated funds to increase the number of BSN prepared nurses and nurses of various levels of diversity throughout Texas. Texas is partnering with the University of Iowa to offer a Rural Nursing Residency in Texas. RWJ will pay for 10 nurses to go through a year-long residency and for preceptors shepherding the residents to receive additional training and support.
Please contact: Julie Thomas - JulieThomas@texashealth.org
or APIN@texasnurses.org for more information.
Read more info here:
University of Texas Austin School of Nursing - 2015 Summer Research Institute - 3rd Annual Summer Research Institute for Best Practices in Health Promotion & Disease Prevention Research
Title: Developing a Program of Research
When: 8:15 am on June 17 through 12:30 pm on June 19
Location: NUR 4.180 | School of Nursing | 1710 Red River, Austin, TX
Sponsored by: St. David’s Center for Health Promotion and Disease Prevention Research in Underserved Populations
Final Deadline for registration: June 5, 2015
*Student/ Faculty Opportunities/ Employment Opportunities
The College of Nursing recognized faculty and staff during National Nurse's Week and held a farewell ceremony for Interim Associate Dean Dr. Anne Renfro and Associate professor Sally Roach on Friday, May 01, 2015 at the Life Health and Sciences Building.
- Replace the Medicare Sustainable Growth Rate (SGR) formula for Medicare provider payment with an improved payment system that rewards quality, efficiency and innovation.
- Create an incentive payment program, referred to as the Merit-Based Incentive Payment System (MIPS), which includes nurse practitioners, clinical nurse specialists and certified registered nurse anesthetists.
- Expand who can document the face-to-face encounter required for Medicare durable medical equipment prescriptions to include advanced practice registered nurses (APRNs) and physician assistants, as allowed by state law.
- Extend a 2 year reauthorization for the Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP) - CHIP covers more than 8 million children and pregnant women in families that earn income above Medicaid eligibility levels. Authorization for this vital program is set to expire September 30.
- Offer a 2-year extension of funding for Community Health Centers (CHC), the National Health Service Corps Fund (NHSC) and Teaching Health Centers
ANA applauds members of the House for working together to eliminate the SGR, protect CHIP and preserve funding for key public health programs. Repeal of the SGR has been a 12 year struggle, and now the ball is in the Senate's court.
We will need your help urging Senators to pass H.R. 2. Be sure to stay tuned for next steps!
AACN/CDC Annuonce New Call for Proposals - Support for Doctor of Nursing Practice EBP Projects Now Available!
The AACN/CDC Academic Partnership Project is pleased to announce support for Doctor of Nursing Practice Evidence-Based Projects that are focused on population health. The partnership project will provide two $10,000 project grants
to DNP students from accredited programs in AACN member schools. These grants are intended to support evidence-based projects that contribute to population health outcomes. The funding will be provided in four equal quarterly payments to the awardee contingent on acceptance of quarterly progress reports against project deliverables. Proposals are due May 15, 2015.
Awards will be announced on June 15, 2015. For more information on the call for proposals including application, click here.
Nursing Faculty Development Program, Nursing and Allied Health, in conjunction with the South Texas College Continuing Education - Clinical Grading in Nursing at all Levels
When: May 14, 2015. 1:30pm - 3:30pm
Location: Nursing and Allied Health Campus - South Texas College - McAllen, TX
Registration Fee: $35
"Forbes Global 2000 CEO From UK Featured At TSC's Education Forum"
- John Fallon, CEO of Pearson, a company with over $8.2 Billion in revenues, and #796 on Forbes Global 2000 list will be visiting Brownsville, Texas on May 15, 2015
as a special guest and commencement speaker for Texas Southmost College. Read more...
"6 High Paying Jobs You Can Get With An Associates Degree"
- On May 16, 2015, Texas Southmost College will hold a graduation ceremony for 290 graduates representing more than 20 programs. Read more...
May 6 - 12, 2015
American Nurses Association National Nurses Week 2015 Free Webinar - My Patient, My Code, My Practice: Ethical Decision-making and Action
Save the date. UTB College of Nursing
The College of Nursing would like to invite you to celebrate National Nurse’s Week on Friday, May 1, 2015
at the Life and Health Science Building Room 1.604 from 2:00 - 5:00 p.m.
We will honor our faculty nurses, recognize our student nurses, and tour the on-site simulation lab. We hope to see you there!
University of Texas at Brownsville - Career Center - "CALL TO NURSING - UTRGV College of Health Affairs to target community needs" - April 2015 - Litdsy Cortez, a junior nursing major at The University of Texas at Brownsville, looks forward to the day she will see the letters B.S.N. after her name. Cortez said she aspires to become a good nurse who shows compassion while caring for her patients. Read more...
Please join College of Nursing in congratulating Mr. Joe Lacher and Dr. Tracia Forman for their latest professional recognition.
- Joe Lacher, MSN, RN, NE–BC was selected as a 2015 Top Nurse in Brownsville, TX by The International Nurses Association (INA). In addition to this acknowledgment, Mr. Lacher's biography is going to appear in Worldwide Leaders in Healthcare, recognizing Healthcare Providers of Excellence. A full color page in the nursing Section is devoted to members, highlighting their achievements, education and specialties.
- Tracia Forman, PhD, RN, CNE received a 1st place award in the Education Research Student Presenter Division at the Southern Nurses’ Research Society (SNRS) for the display of her dissertation work. This purpose of this organization is to facilitate the production of the highest quality research in nursing in the region. Acknowledgement by this organization is quite an honor. Good job! Well done! Tracia continues to be an energetic and participating member of UTB College of Nursing and will be a great asset for the future of nursing scholarship at the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley.