Our goal at the Writing Lab is to assist and guide you to become better writers. We can help you with your writing assignments in any course at all steps of the writing process. We offer strategies to overcome writer's block, suggest methods for writing an essay, and provide assistance with basic grammar rules. In addition, we can help you use the online library databases and internet to begin gathering sources for your research. Our staff is knowledgeable in both MLA and APA formats. We can also help you prepare for the writing section of the THEA or COMPASS.
Tutoring sessions are 30 minutes long. When you come to the Writing Lab, be sure to bring a copy of your assignment and any other materials that might be helpful, like your textbooks, notes, faculty instructions, and previously graded essays. Access to these materials can save time by helping to focus the tutoring session.
Hours of Operation
M-Th 8:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.
F 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Location: MRCN 120
Phone number: 956-882-7065
M-Th 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
F 8:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
More Ways The Writing Lab Can Benefit You:
- Analyze your assignments
- Brainstorm for ideas on your topic
- Utilize the internet and library databases
- Organize and develop a first draft
- Improve your writing in any subject
- Prepare a published final draft
- Understand and respond to your teacher's comments
- Cite sources of your information and ideas properly
- Improve the clarity of your paper
- Use computers to process your writing more efficiently
- Help you prepare for the writing section of the THEA or COMPASS