First Year Experience Philosophy Statement
UTB/TSC is committed to providing an inclusive and nurturing environment. We will create pathways to empower learners to succeed as full partners in their own education and to become responsible citizens.
To best serve the unique needs of first-year students, we will
- Exemplify a passion for the value of learning
- Offer guidance and clarity in an unfamiliar environment of higher education services
- Advise students and families on available financial assistance
- Facilitate intellectual growth in and out of the classrooms
- Encourage civil discourse, questioning, and acceptance for diversity
- Expect and honor academic integrity
- Develop independent learners through critical thinking
- Assess competencies for college preparedness and provide the support for success
- Provide opportunities to increase social skills
- Endeavor to engage students both on campus and in the community
Our commitment is to providing every first-year student with the foundational success necessary for the challenges and opportunities of the 21st Century.