One West University Boulevard, Brownsville, Texas 78520 | 956-882-8200
Contact Us!
International Faculty Services Office
Cortez Building - Suite 129
80 Fort Brown
Brownsville, Texas 78520
Phone: (956) 882-7690
Fax: (956) 882-7476
Office Hours:
Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.


J-1 Dependents of Exchange Visitors (J-1)

J-2 dependents are permitted to work in the United States with the proper employment authorization document issued by the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).  There are no specific requirements as to the type of work the J-2 may undertake.  However, the USCIS does require that the J-2 dependent provide a written statement verifying that the purpose of the employment is not to provide financial support to the J-1 exchange visitor.

H-4 Dependents of Temporary Workers (H-1B)

H-4 dependents are not permitted to accept employment of any kind.  This includes unpaid employment and self-funded research.

Academic Studies

J-2 and H-4 dependent children are all permitted to attend school in the United States.  J-2 and H-4 spouses may enroll in college and university classes.  Tuition rates may vary according to determination of resident status in the State of Texas.

J-2 students are permitted to accept on campus employment.  However, even though an H-4 dependent is a student, they are NOT permitted to accept employment.  This includes post-graduate employment.
For comments and questions, please contact the Webmaster.