CJI Admission Requirements
In order to be admitted to the Criminal Justice Institute Police Academy, you must first meet the "Minimum Standards for Initial Licensure" as specified in §217.1 of the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement Officer Standards and Education [TCLEOSE] Rules and Fee-Schedule Handbook as of January 1, 2010 (TCLEOSE 2009 Handbook). You can review the "Minimum Standards for Initial Licensure" of the TCLEOSE 2010 Handbook by downloading it from the following link:
In addition to meeting the "Minimum Standards for Initial Licensure," you must submit following items for admission:
NOTE: Any costs incurred by the applicant through out the admission process are non-refundable.
- Must Pass Entrance Examination. Contact the Police Academy for exam dates and location of exam.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or Naturalized Citizen
- Must present original Birth Certificate
- Must present original Naturalized Citizen Certificate
- Must have a valid Texas Driver License
- Must present an original High school diploma or GED
- Must pass a local background check
- Must pass a TCIC/NCIC Report ($9.95 fee, money order only)
- Must pass Medical exam, to include: (Doctor will be assigned to you by CJI)
- Review of organ systems
- Lab tests for blood sugar and body fat count
- Urinalysis for drugs and alcohol
- Must pass a Psychological exam (Doctor will be assigned to you by CJI)
Upon acceptance to the CJI Police Academy, you are required to purchase several items that support the curriculum. A list of these items can be found in the information regarding course fee.