One West University Boulevard, Brownsville, Texas 78520 | 956-882-8200


Admissions Policy

The institution maintains an open door admissions policy, but admission to the university does not guarantee admission to all programs. Information about these programs is available at the Academic Advising Center in the Lightner Center.

Admission Requirements

Anyone meeting one of the following conditions may be admitted:

  1. By high school graduation. A copy of the official high school transcript showing the date of graduation must be submitted to the Admissions Office prior to registration.
  2. By examination. Applicants who did not graduate from high school maybe admitted by successfully completing the General Education Development test (GED).A copy ofthecertificateofhigh school equivalency with test scores must be submitted to the Admissions Office prior to registration.
  3. By individual approval. Those who do not qualify for admission under either of the above conditions may be admitted if they are at least 18. Applicants must submit two letters of reference using the forms provided by the Admissions Office.
  4. By transfer from another college. Students who have attended other colleges must submit official transcripts from each institution prior to registration. Veterans applying for benefits must provide a transcript since credit for previous education must be verified.
  5. By fresh start. An applicant for admission may seek to enter this institution pursuant to the state’s academic fresh start statute, Texas Education Code, §51.931.If the applicant informs the Admissions Office or the Office of the Registrar in writing of his or her election under the statute, the institution will not consider academic course credits or grades earned by the applicant 10 or more years prior to the starting date of the semester in which the applicant seeks to enroll. An applicant who makes the election to apply under this statute may not receive any course credits for courses taken 10 or more years prior to enrollment. An applicant who has earned a baccalaureate degree under the academic fresh start statute, Texas Education Code, §51.927, will be evaluated on the grade point average of the course of work completed after enrollment under fresh start and the other criteria stated herein.
  6. By concurrent/dual enrollment. Students who have completed their junior year of high school may, upon recommendation of their high school principal, be permitted to enroll. The Request for Concurrent Enrollment Form is available at the Admissions Office. 12 Admissions Concurrently enrolled students receive college credit only. Dual enrolled students receive high school and college credit. Students who are interested in concurrent enrollment must have met the TSI requirement.
  7. Adult and continuing education. Those who register within this category will not be required to submit academic or residency documentation until they attempt to enroll for credit courses.
  8. Audit enrollment. Offered on a space-available basis for auditing courses. Interested persons should contact the Admissions Office.

All documents submitted become property of UTB.

Steps for Undergraduate Admission

  1. Apply online
  2. Visit apply at WWW.UTB.EDU (for more information call 956.882.7611 or 882-8295)

  3. Submit one of the following academic credentials to Admissions Office.
    • Incoming freshman – High school transcript or GED certificate or two letters of reference for individual approval.
    • Transfer student – Official college transcripts from institution(s) attended.
  4. Submit proof of state residency documents for tuition purposes to Admissions Office.
  5. All residency documents must include the student’s name and address and must be dated 12 months prior to enrolling. This includes former students who have not attended UTB for more than a year.

    Examples of proof of residency:

    Permanent Texas Driver’s License/ID card plus one of the following:

    • Texas Voter’s Registration Card
    • Texas high school or college transcript
    • Property tax statement or receipt
    • Lease agreement
    • Utility bill
    • Employer’s statement (indicating date of employment)
    • Canceled check/bank statement
  6. Testing
    • Freshmen – All incoming freshmen who are not exempt must meet the TSI requirement. Visit the Testing Office in Tandy Hall No. 216 or call 882-8875 for more information.
    • Transfer Student – Submit official Placement Test scores to the Testing Office in Tandy Hall No. 216 or call 956.882.8875 for more information.
  7. Advising
    • Undergraduate Students – All undergraduate students must meet with an academic advisor. Visit the Academic Advising Center located in The Lightner Center, or call 956.882.7362.

Note: Orientation Freshmen only – All incoming freshmen must attend Orientation. Register for Orientation by filling out the Scorpiontation Form and paying a $50 fee online

In addition, if a student registers for orientation and does not appear for his appointed session, a no-show/ cancellation fee of $15 will be charged. For more information, visit the Office of the Dean of Students at the Old Education Building or call 956.882.5141.

Undergraduate Admission Requirements for International Students

  1. Additionally, all students must request a form I-20 AB at the Admissions Office (Tandy Hall No. 115) in order to obtain a student visa at the nearest U.S. Consulate or Embassy. Otherwise, students must present immigration documentation, including TOELF test and pass it with a score of 500 or higher, a copy of application for residency and a passport with any type of visa or crossing card prior to the first day of class.
  2. All international students must maintain approved comprehensive medical insurance while enrolled. The cost varies and is in the amount of the premium approved for The University of Texas System health insurance plan. This cost will be automatically added to the tuition and fees at every registration. This charge may not be paid in installments. Mexican students are exempt from this requirement, except those on J-1 visas.
  3. A waiver from this fee may be obtained by providing proof of an acceptable alternate insurance to the Student Health Services director (Cortez Hall No. 228). Proof of insurance must include, identification card with insurer’s name, policy coverage showing effective and expiration dates, including coverage of at least $100,000 in medical benefits. This must be in English. If the required medical evacuation and repatriation coverage are not included, these may be purchased separately at the Accounting and Finance Office (Tandy Hall No. 107) for a $35 annual fee. This waiver must be renewed every year.
  4. U.S. residents or citizens who wish to purchase health insurance may contact the Student Health Services director at Cortez Hall No. 228.
  • The student is talking to the recruiter.
  • The graduates are walking with a school banner.
  • The students are holding up the scorpion sign.
For comments and questions, please contact the Webmaster.