NOTE: A student cannot receive two separate degrees of the same degree type (e.g., two Bachelor of Arts degrees) with the same graduation date. (See section on Multiple Degree and/or Subsequent Degrees.)
A student may earn two baccalaureate degrees of different degree types on the same graduation date (Example: Bachelor's of Science in Biology and Bachelor's of Arts in English).
Such student will:
- Complete all major requirements for each of the two majors and degree types.
- Complete at least 25 percent of coursework for each degree in residence, including completion in residence of at least 12 semester credit hours of advanced course work (level 3000, 4000) in the major field of study for each degree in residence.
- Complete all requirements for each degree, including grade point average requirements, elective courses, and advanced courses as set forth in the catalog.
- Cannot use the major of one degree type for the minor or general electives of the second degree type.
- Cannot use the minor of one degree type for the major or general electives of the second degree type.
- Should consult with an academic advisor and faculty advisor at least one year prior to graduation.
- Student will be advised to (1) seek a Double Major; (2) follow the Subsequent Degree route; or (3) complete one degree and continue into Graduate Studies.
Subsequent Baccalaureate Degrees
Students awarded a baccalaureate degree from UTB or another accredited institution may receive an additional baccalaureate degree of a different major from UTB. Such students continue to be classified as undergraduates and must:
- Complete a minimum of 25 percent semester credit hours of credit at UTB (of which at least 12 of the advanced hours in the major field must be taken at UTB) for each baccalaureate degree sought beyond the first;
- Complete all requirements for the additional major(s) as set forth in the catalog; and
- Complete all requirements for the additional degree(s), including grade point average requirements, elective courses, and advanced courses as set forth in the catalog.
- Complete requirements under the catalog in effect at the time of beginning the second.
NOTE: Additional major(s) and/or minor(s) may not be awarded to a baccalaureate degree previously earned.
Honors in Graduation
At the time of graduation, students earning a baccalaureate will be recognized for sustained scholastic excellence by graduating with appropriate honors. Honors will be determined by a student's cumulative grade point average on all non-developmental undergraduate hours taken, including transfer hours. If courses have been repeated, the last grade recorded will be used in determining grade point average.
Honors are as follows:
|Summa Cum Laude
||3.900 - 4.000 |
|Magna Cum Laude
||3.700 - 3.899 |
||3.500 - 3.699 |
Students who are members of academic honor societies will be recognized at the commencement ceremony. Please check with your organization’s advisor for any additional graduation regalia.
Changing Graduation Date
Graduation candidates who do not meet requirements for the semester they applied for graduation, may move their graduation date up one semester by submitting the Request for Change of Graduation Date form to the Office of the Registrar in Main 1.100. Students must pay the required $5 fee at the Accounting and Finance Office before submitting the form.