- To provide a statement of philosophy and a list of objectives for the guidance of those involved in the procedures of selection
- To define the role of those who share in the responsibility for the selection of instructional and research materials
- To set forth criteria for selection and evaluation of these materials
- To outline the techniques for the application of the criteria
- To clarify the philosophy and procedures used in evaluating and selecting instructional and research materials
- To provide a procedure for the consideration of objectives for the use of particular materials in the various academic programs
Philosophy of the University Libraries
- To provide reference, research and general materials in print and non-print formats and to make available the necessary equipment for the adequate use of these resources in a desirable academic environment
- To aid and instruct students, faculty and staff in the use of the library and to provide bibliographic guides for better access to the collection
- To develop collections of materials that support and enrich the present and projected curricula of the University of Texas at Brownsville, with the assistance of recommendations for purchase from faculty, students and staff
- To encourage the use of the library and its facilities by faculty, students and staff
- To cooperate with other libraries, such as through TexShare, as much as possible without financial restraints
The University Libraries are pleased to accept gifts or memorial gifts from patrons. Gifts are gratefully accepted as long as no restrictions are placed upon their use:
- The library is not obligated to retain any gifts which fail to meet its criteria for selection
- The library has the right to discard any gifts which fail to meet its criteria for selection
- The library has the right to offer to another agency or sell any gifts which duplicate materials already in the collection that are not needed for replacement or copies
Acknowledgment of Gifts
All donations will receive written acknowledgment upon receipt of these items. Library staff will assist donor in filling out donation form. If donor declines to provide name, donation will be considered anonymous.
The library will issue a signed acknowledgment letter that serves as the donor’s receipt for the donation and only provides the number of items received by the library. A donor can request that no acknowledgment be made. The library is not responsible for returned acknowledgments due to incorrect contact information. If donor declines to provide contact information, no acknowledgment letter will be issued.
Appraisal of Gifts
The appraisal of a gift to a library for tax purposes is the responsibility of the donor since it is the donor who benefits from the tax deduction. To protect both its donors and itself, the library, as an interested party, ordinarily should not appraise gifts made to it.
The acceptance of a gift which has been appraised by a third and disinterested party, does not in any way imply an endorsement of the appraisal by the library. The library is not a museum and should rarely accept objects other than printed, audiovisual or manuscript material.
The library encourages the free exploration of ideas in the pursuit of knowledge and truth. With this philosophy, the library will make available study materials that represent a broad range of thought.
The library shall have the right and obligation to select such materials. The library shall select items which represent equally all views of a controversial issue and/or present a point of view balanced by material already in the collection. The library shall challenge any request from individuals or organizations seeking to censor materials. The library shall not place controversial materials under special controls in an attempt to censor. The library shall consider replacing any controversial books which have been destroyed, mutilated, or removed from the collection along the same criteria used for any library materials. The library shall consider re-evaluation of material through the completion of a Material Selection Inquiry by patron.
Contact Information: firstname.lastname@example.org