Library Policies and Responsibilities
- No person shall damage, destroy or deface any property and/or materials belonging to the library.
- Any person abusing or threatening to abuse other patrons or members of the staff may be expelled from the premises at once.
- No person while on the premises of the library shall conduct him/herself in a violent or disorderly manner, use abusive or profane language, engage in lewd conduct, disturb any public meeting or assembly, or be found under the influence of alcohol or drugs in such a condition as to threaten the safety and rights of others. The library premises include not only the building, but all associated property, such as sidewalks, parking lots and yards.
- No person may smoke anywhere in the building or consume food or drink in the public areas of the building. Exception may be made for specific library programs, when refreshments may be permitted.
- No person while on the library premises shall engage in disruptive conversation or conduct or unruly behavior which inhibits the use of the library by others, nor shall any person refuse to obey the reasonable requests of an employee of the library, including a request to present identification.
- No person may play any audio equipment on library premises without using headphones or earphones which make the sound inaudible to others. If sound is heard, despite the use of earphones or headphones, the patron must turn the audio device off. Persons receiving or making calls on cellular phones may do so only outside or in the library's entrance lobby.
- No person while on the premises of the library shall obtain or attempt to obtain signatures to a petition or conduct surveys or investigations or distribute printed material. No posters or flyers and other forms of material none related to university events may be posted without the express permission of the library director or his representative. Solicitations for charitable, religious or other purposes, selling of tickets, magazines or merchandise of any kind are prohibited on library premises. The only exceptions to this rule are the on-going book sales and other fund-raising events sponsored by the Library or the Arnulfo Oliveira Literary Society, or by similar groups authorized by the director.
- No person shall bring animals into the building, except for those needed to assist a patron with a disability, or any animals used in library programs.
- No person shall leave children under the age of 12 unattended for any periods of time on library premises. Parents or guardians are expected to look after their children while visiting the library with them.
- Members of the public who violate these regulations may be expelled from the library premises and/or have library privileges withdrawn by the library director or campus police for a specific or indefinite period of time.
- Proper attire is required to enter the premises.