One West University Boulevard, Brownsville, Texas 78520 | 956-882-8200

Visa F3 Border Commuter Student


This visa category was created for citizens and residents of Canada and Mexico that live in the border area. This visa is for Canadian or Mexican citizens who maintain their residence outside the United States and commute to the United States temporarily in order to engage in full- or part-time academic studies. Visa holders of this type of visa can not reside in the United States and their spouse or children are not eligible to dependent visas.

The rest of the requirements and regulations are the same as for the F1.

Students on F-3 visas full-time will be required to take at least 12 undergraduate credit hours and 9 graduate credit hours.

Students on F-3 visas part-time will be required to take at least 6 undergraduate credit hours and 3 graduate credit hours.


On November 2, 2002, the President signed into law PL 107-274, the Border Commuter Student Act of 2002. The Border Commuter Student Act of 2002 creates two new nonimmigrant student visa categories, F-3 and M-3, for Canadian and Mexican citizens who study part-time in the United States but who live in their home country and commute to academic or vocational classes in the United States.

Contact Information:

International Students
EDBC 1.308
One West University Boulevard
Brownsville, Texas 78520
Phone: (956) 882-7983
Fax: (956) 882-6817

Office Hours:
Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

For comments and questions, please contact the Webmaster.