One West University Boulevard, Brownsville, Texas 78520 | 956-882-8200

Transfer F-1 students

If you are currently in F-1 status at another U.S. institution and intend to begin your studies at UTB, you are considered a transfer student by Office of Global Engagement’s International Student and Scholar Services for the purposes of issuing an I-20. A transfer of your F-1 status from your old or current school to UTB is required by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS).

You will be considered a transfer student if one of the following applies to you:

  • You are in the middle of a degree program and are leaving that program to begin at UTB.
  • You will have completed a degree program at your current institution and will begin a new degree program at UTB.
  • You are currently authorized for Optional Practical Training (OPT) from another school and will begin a new degree program at UTB.

You are required to complete three steps to fulfill the transfer process.

Step 1. Request transfer and submit documents to OGE International Student and Scholar Services.

Once you have learned of your admission to UTB and have accepted the offer, submit all your nonimmigrant documents to the international admissions assistant at International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS). You will also need to notify your current international student advisor of your intention to transfer to UTB.

You will have to complete the “International Student Transfer Form” and submit it to the international admission assistant.

You should bring this with you when you meet with your international student advisor. When you meet with the advisor, you will determine the release date of your SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System) record so he or she can do the transfer-out procedure. The release date is the date that your SEVIS record will become available to the ISSS, and the international student adviser will not be able to issue your I-20 until the release date has passed. The transfer-out procedure must be requested within 60 days of completing your program at your current school, though the actual release date may be later. F-1 regulations allow you to work in the summer between schools on the campus that maintains supervision of you SEVIS record, so you may want to take this into consideration when choosing your release date. You should also consider any plans to travel outside the USA. (For example, if you have a release date of August 15 and are planning to re-enter the USA on August 20, this will not be enough time to get your I-20 to you before you return.)

Step 2.  Wait for your I-20 and prepare for arrival in Brownsville

ISSS will create your I-20 and mail it to you. If you are traveling or moving during the break before coming to UTB, remember to update the ISSS office with your current address so the I-20 is sent to the correct location.

If you plan to travel outside the USA after completing your studies at your previous institution but before starting your program at UTB, you must use UTB’s I-20 to re-enter the USA. If you have a valid, unexpired F-1 visa in your passport, you do not need to apply for a new visa. You may use the visa you have, even though the previous school's name is on it. If your visa has expired, you will need to apply for a new F-1 visa at the consulate; however, you are not required to pay the SEVIS fee. Go to the SEVIS website for confirmation that you do not need to pay the SEVIS fee.

If you are not planning to leave the USA before arriving at Brownsville, you will simply receive the I-20 and report to the international student advisor upon arrival.

Step 3.  Complete the transfer process.

Upon arriving at UTB, you must report to the international student advisor to complete the transfer process no later than 15 days after the start date on your I-20. ISSS recommends that you come to complete the transfer as soon as you arrive at Brownsville. If you fail to report within 15 days, you will be in violation of your F-1 status. When you come to report to the international, you should bring your passport, I-94 card and I-20 from UTB.

You are required to register for full-time studies at UTB in the first available term after leaving your previous school or the first term after the summer vacation period.

Contact Information:

International Students
EDBC 1.308
One West University Boulevard
Brownsville, Texas 78520
Phone: (956) 882-7983
Fax: (956) 882-6817

Office Hours:
Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

For comments and questions, please contact the Webmaster.