Chess has been an important part of our University as has acted as a metaphor of the vast human potential that our region holds. Coming from humble beginnings, the UTB/TSC Chess Team has developed into a force to be reckoned with in the world of Collegiate Chess. Both on the individual and team levels, our players compete at the highest echelon in state, national and international tournaments. In addition, several of our team members have achieved the titles of International Master, Women Grandmaster and Grandmaster while here at UTB/TSC.
Some of our achievements include:
- 2008 & 2010 Collegiate Champion-Individual
- 2009 Final Four of College Chess -3rd Place Team
- 2010 Final Four of College Chess – 2nd Place Team
- 2007 US Chess Federation “Chess College of the Year”
The UTB/TSC Chess Team holds academic success and mastery of chess in high regard. Academic progress and performance on the board is monitored with the appropriate support being offered to all members of the team. Under the leadership of Director Douglas Stoves, Program Director Russell Harwood and Coach Grandmaster Ronen Har-Zvi, the UTB/TSC Chess Team is provided with consistent, high quality support and training throughout the academic year.
With over half of our team coming from the Brownsville/Matamoros area, the UTB/TSC Chess Program is committed to providing outreach for students and parents in our community. Focused on developing the great human potential that exists within our region, the chess program has offered many classes and trainings for individuals and groups. Some of these include:
- Visits to area schools and churches
- Providing training UTB/TSC student teachers
- Providing training for area chess coaches
- Organizing tournaments
- Holding summer chess camps
- Providing chess instruction at Brownsville Early College High School
For more information about our team or any of the services that we offer, visit the Chess Program office at the Student Union 2.28, call (956) 882-5751, or e-mail Program Director Russell Harwood at email@example.com.