About Us/Quiénes Somos
The University of Texas at Brownsville and Texas Southmost College, serves more than 15,000 students in the Brownsville metropolitan area and broader South Texas region. We have been a member of The University of Texas System since 1991 and offer a wide range of undergraduate and graduate programs.
At UTB and TSC, we are committed to expanding knowledge through enhancing student success in all that we do through excellence and innovation in academics and research while providing accessible and affordable education.
The university’s proximity to Mexico generates a multicultural educational environment that highlights unity, heritage and tradition. UTB and TSC are also proud members of the Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities, an organization that recognizes excellence in Hispanic higher education in the U.S. and around the world.
RANKING AND HIGHLIGHTS
- The Hispanic Outlook in Higher Education ranks UTB:
- 20th in the number of bachelor’s degrees
- 47th in the number of master’s degrees
- Second in nation in mathematics degrees awarded to Hispanics
- Average class size: 24 in lower division, 17 in upper division, and 9 in graduate
- Total registered student organizations: 69
- Awarded 2nd place in the President's Cup chess competition, the "Final Four of College Chess," in April 2010, 3rd in 2009 and 2011; and in 2007 named Chess College of the Year
- Soccer and volleyball NAIA regional champions
- Nationally recognized Department of Music, accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music
- Excellent pass rates on professional certifications:
- 97 percent for teacher certifications
- 100 percent for music-education certification
- 93 percent for associate degree nursing board examinations
- 93 percent for vocational nursing licensures
- Home to the Center for Gravitational Wave Astronomy with access to the Arecibo Remote Command Center (linked to Puerto Rico)
- Bahia Grande wetland estuary is just 30 minutes from campus
- Biology department has access to El Cielo, a biosphere reserve with a unique ecosystem in Mexico
- First Early Childhood Laboratory School to be accredited in South Texas and offer a Doctor of Education in Curriculum and Instruction
- Home to the Texas Center for Border and Transnational Studies