The Art Gallery in the Rusteberg Building at UTB/TSC Presents P.A.W.S.
Brownsville, TX – The Art Gallery in the Rusteberg Building is proud to present the “P.A.W.S.”. Opening reception will be held Monday, June 22 at 6:30 p.m.
Welcome to the third UTB-TSC student photography exhibit. Two years ago, students documented downtown Brownsville, or “El Centro.” Last year, they photographed “Tex-Mex” concepts. And this year, we chose the idea of photographing dogs, or “Paws.”
Why dogs? Why not? After all, we say dogs are our “best friends,” so why not show everybody why that’s true?
For anyone who has a dog, think of the times you have come home from one of “those” days at work or school that you would just as soon forget much less repeat, only to be greeted by that wagging tail. It’s a sure sign of happiness and love. No doubt the other part of the day quickly evaporates. Who else in your life can turn an emotional switch that instantly? A dog’s adoration can quickly become addicting.
Before continuing, here are a few things to consider:
- The Brownsville Animal Shelter can house 60 dogs, 20 of them in quarantine.
- There were about 2,476 dogs and 1,418 puppies picked up or dropped off at the animal shelter in 2008.
- Of those, 147 dogs and 137 puppies were claimed.
- A very lucky 182 dogs and 173 puppies found a home through adoption.
The staggering, horrifying number of euthanized canines remains: 1,940 dogs and 1,005 puppies.
Our “best friends” are suffering an inexcusable and tragic end. This unfortunate situation is certainly not limited to Brownsville. It is a nationwide disaster.
- Opening reception: Monday, June 22, 2009: 6:30PM
- Location: The Art Gallery in the Rusteberg Building at UTB/TSC
- Exhibition runs from June 22 to July 3, 2009
- Admission fee: $1.00
For Immediate Release:
Contact: Marivel Graham