Department of Accounting & MIS
Welcome to the Department of Accounting and Management Information Systems (DAMIS) at the University of Texas – Brownsville. As the new Chair of the DAMIS, I like to ask you – our business leaders, alumni, and friends – to become involved in our curriculum design and development, student recruitment, and other initiatives in our continuous improvement efforts. As you may be aware, in May of 2012, the School of Business became accredited by the AACSB International – The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business, placing us in the top 5% of all Business Schools worldwide. The School and the Department remain committed to providing an excellent education to our students. DAMIS will start offering a baccalaureate degree in MIS in the fall of 2013. We will continue our BBA degree in accounting and will have an integrated BBA/MBA program starting fall of 2013 (subject to approval by the UT system) as a means of providing our accounting majors an opportunity to both earn a Master’s degree and satisfy the 150-hour requirement to sit for the CPA exam. We thank you very much for your support, in whatever form you can provide, and please let us know if we can help you in any way. Your support will elevate us from a good program to a great one. Also, please send us your contact information so we can stay in touch.
The vision of the Department of Accounting & Management Information Systems (DAMIS) is to be regarded by its constituents as providing the most value-added educational experience.
The mission of DAMIS is to produce future financial professionals, leaders, and responsible global citizens through:
1. offering rigorous and updated curricula that provide the knowledge, skills (including technology, communication, leadership, and critical thinking skills), and values that are necessary to succeed in increasingly complex global organizations and careers
2. emphasizing ethical behavior, collaborative efforts, and international dimensions of business
3. interacting closely with our students
4. engaging in meaningful research aimed at high impact academic and professional journals
5. involvement in service to our community, university, profession, and beyond