Graduate Certification Programs and Non-Degree Certifications
UTB was reaccredited in 2008 by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. The College of Education is accredited by Texas Education Agency. As of January 2011, our School and Community Counseling programs were nationally accredited by The Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs. The College Education is currently pursuing accreditation by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education.
- completion of a bachelor's degree with a 2.5 GPA
- have 12 semester hours of graduate level online credits
- completed by itself or incorporated into a master's degree
- no state examination required
Non-Degree Graduate Plans Elegible for State Certifications
Students who have already completed a masters degree in another area desiring to complete one of the certifications above should contact the appropriate department and advisor or the UTB certification office and request the development of a certification plan ($40 fee required) outlining the course work needed to fulfill the state/university requirements. If a student elects to complete a second master's degree with certification they should contact the appropriate advisor/department listed above and have a program of study prepared.
Applying for a Standard Certificate (additional: Graduate)
- Completion of a masters degree or required course work in the certification or specialization area for those students who currently hold a master's degree.
- Passing scores on all required TExES/ExCET examinations.
- A valid Texas teaching certificate if required.
- Verification of teaching experience required for the certification desired:
- Educational Diagnostician - 3 years
- Principal – 2 years
- Reading Specialist – 3 years
- School Counselor – 2 years
- Superintendent - 2 years
- complete online application and pay required fee.
- be currently certified based on a bachelor's degree
- have 30 semester hours of graduate-level credit in the field of education or a related field, including six semester hours in tests and measurements, at least three of which emphasized individualized testing
- have completed six semester hours directly related to teaching individuals with special learning needs
- have three creditable years of teaching experience
- clear admission to the UTB educational diagnostician program and the UTB graduate school
Master Reading Teacher Certification
This certificate is being implemented to insure that all Texas students are reading at grade level by the end of the third grade.
The Master Reading certificate may be obtained in one of two ways:
- an individual who holds the Reading Specialist Certificate must complete an SBEC-approved Master Reading teacher preparation program or
- an individual must have a teaching certificate, at least three years of teaching experience, complete an SBEC-approved Master Reading teacher certification exam.
Additional information may be obtained at the following web site: http://www.texes.ets.org/texmat/
Graduate courses required for the Master Reading Teacher certification includes the following:
- EDLI 6310 Beginning and Developing Literacy
- EDLI 6320 Adolescent Literacy Instruction
- EDLI 6330 Literacy Issues and Instruction for Special Program
- EDLI 6340 Child and Adolescent Literature
- EDLI 6350 Language Arts
- EDLI 6360 Assessment Issues and Practice in Leadership
- completion of a bachelor's degree
- standard teaching certificate
- two years of acceptable classroom teaching experience
- clear admission into the Principal's program and UTB graduate program
- completion of the courses in the common core.
For regular programs an individual must:
- be currently certified at the level of assignment based on a bachelor's degree
- have 24 semester hours of graduate level credit, including 12 semester hours in guidance and counseling
- have 2 creditable years of classroom teaching experience
- clear admission to the UTB counseling program and the UTB graduate school
- currently hold a professional principal certificate
- clear admission to the UTB superintendency program and the UTB graduate school
- completed 6 semester hours of superintendency course work from UTB
Graduate Certification Programs: Contact Persons
Master Reading Teacher
Master Technology Teacher
Principal or Superintendancy