M.ED. IN EDUCATIONAL TECHNOLOGY - OVERVIEW
The Online M. Ed. in Educational Technology is a 36-hour program designed to prepare persons in K-12, higher education, corporate, and military settings to develop the skills and knowledge necessary for the classrooms and boardrooms of tomorrow. Graduates of this program will have a much better understanding of the uses of technology and how they can be applied in instructional/training settings.
The program focuses on the theory, research and applications related to the field of educational technology and is intended to help individuals:
- use instructional technology (computers, telecommunications and related technologies) as resources for the delivery of instruction
- serve as facilitators or directors of instructional technology in educational settings and/or be developers of instructional programs and materials for new technologies
- design instructional materials in a variety of media
In addition to earning an M.Ed. in Educational Technology, students also have the opportunity to earn a graduate certificate in E-Learning or Technology Leadership in Education, or both.
The GRE is no longer required for College of Education graduate program applicants with an undergraduate GPA of 3.0, or over 3.0 in the last 60 hours of undergraduate study.
GetEducated.com ranked the Master of Education in Educational Technology as a Best Buy. The list includes 94 institutions that offer online degrees for less than $16,000. Tuition for the Online M.Ed. in Educational Technology is approximately $11,000.00 for Texas Residents.
To earn a Master of Education in Educational Technology from The University of Texas at Brownsville, students must complete 36 semester credit hours according to the following degree plan:
Curriculum and Instruction: 9 hours
- EDFR 6300 – Foundations of Research in Education
- EPSY 6304 – Foundations of Learning, Cognition and Social Development
- EDFR 6388 – Socio Cultural Foundations
Educational Technology: 18 hours
- EDTC 6320 – Instructional Technology
- EDTC 6321 – Instructional Design
- EDTC 6323 – Multimedia/Hypermedia
- EDTC 6325 – Educational Communications
- EDTC 6329 – Selected Topics in Educational Technology
- EDTC 6332 – Practicum in Educational Technology
Electives: 9 hours
Students will select 9 hours of electives based upon their professional needs and academic interests (e.g., 9 hours in a specific content area such as reading, mathematics, science) or desire to earn a graduate certificate in E-Learning or Technology Leadership in Education, or both.
The Program of Study (POS)
The Program of Study should be developed in consultation with the Faculty Advisor during the first semester of graduate work and must contain the following elements:
- A brief narrative statement giving the overall objectives of the program and special certification desired.
- Methods for achieving these objectives, i.e., courses listed in the degree plan, experiences, thesis and tentative research problems.
- The proposed method and anticipated date of the final evaluation.
Click on the following link to download the Program of Study form.