RGV Problem of the Week
In the Fall of 2012 the Department of Mathematics launched the Problem of the Week competition for Rio Grande Valley students. This contest allows students to compete with their peers from other schools of the Valley and prepare to the main mathematical competitions AMC8, AMC 10, and AMC12.
The duration of each round of this competition is two weeks. Students may work on the problems continuously during these two weeks.
For grades 6-8 there were two parts on October 8-22, October 22-November 5. The winner of the Problem of the Week in the Fall of 2012 is Gerardo Rivera from Dr. Juliet V. Garcia Middle School.
The first part of the Problem of the Week competition in the Spring of 2013 is scheduled on February 4-18. The problems for three categories of students (grades 6-8, grades 9-10, grades 11-12) were uploaded on February 4, 2013. By 5pm of the last scheduled day the solutions with a student's name and school clearly indicated must be sent to the Department of Mathematics by one of three possible ways:
1) Mail to the address: 80 Fort Brown, SETB 2.454, Brownsville, TX 78520;
2) Fax: 9568826637;
3) E-mail: Alexey.Glazyrin@utb.edu
- Problems for grades 6-8, Fall 2012, Part 1 (October 8th-22nd) Solution: (Click to view)
- Problems for grades 6-8, Fall 2012, Part 2 (October 22nd-November 5th)
Solution: (Click to view)
- Problems for grades 6-8, Spring 2013, Part 1 (February 4th-18th)
- Problems for grades 9-10, Spring 2013, Part 1 (February 4th-18th)
- Problems for grades 11-12, Spring 2013, Part 1 (February 4th-18th)