Blackboard IM and Online Tutoring
- After you sign onto Blackboard IM, you will see three tabs at the top of IM window: Contacts, Classmates, and School. Click on the School tab, where there are drop lists.
- Beneath the last drop list is Online Tutoring. Below this list you will see Writing Lab. Click on Writing Lab.
- A message will prompt you to provide a reason for joining the session. The tutor will see that when you log in.
- You will be promoted to the Tutoring Session by the tutor. A message will pop up on the screen: “Welcome- A representative will assist you as soon as possible.”
- Once the tutor has promoted you, a message will appear on the screen: “You have been promoted to Writing Lab,” at which time you will click OK.
- At this point, there are several options. You may:
- Chat with the tutor about any general questions, using the IM feature.
- Enable calling and video chat by clicking on the phone button. It’s worth mentioning that you will have to enable voice and video by clicking the appropriate buttons and leaving them clicked.
- Share your computer screen using the Collaborate feature. Once you click on the Collaborate button, you may click on Share Screen to show your work via Microsoft Word or any word processing program.
- At any time, you may leave the chat room and the session by simply closing the respective windows.