One West University Boulevard, Brownsville, Texas 78520 | 956-882-8200

Federal Income Tax Withholding

Employees may change their withholding status by completing a Form W-4. In order for changes to be reflected on the next paycheck, the form must be submitted to the Office of Human Resources before the 10th of the month.

W-4, Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate

Form W-4 is used by employers to determine the correct amount of federal taxes to withhold from an employee's pay. Employees should consider completing a new Form W-4 each year and when their personal or financial situation changes. For example, Form W-4 can be used to change the number of federal withholding exemptions, marital status, or additional income tax withholdings. The number of withholding allowances you claim determines the amount of your earnings exempt from taxation.

Employees who qualify to claim exemption from Federal Income Withholding Tax must update their withholding status on a yearly basis by completing their Form W-4. Any changes must be made prior to the payroll processing date in order for these to be effective for the following pay date.

W-5, Earned Income Credit Advance Payment Certificate

Form W-5 can be used by eligible employees to get part of the earned income credit (EIC) in advance with their paychecks. Open the form to See Who Is Eligible To Get Advance EIC Payments? Due to eligibility requirements that may change from year to year, W-5 forms must be submitted annually. W-5 forms are effective for the current calendar year only.

Please note

  • The University cannot provide tax advice. Employees should contact the Internal Revenue Service or their personal tax counselor for advice.
  • The word "Update" should be hand-written on the top of the form before submitting it to the Office of Human Resources.
  • The forms should have the employee’s original signature.

For more information, contact the Office of Human Resources at 956-882-8205.

For comments and questions, please contact the Webmaster.