One West University Boulevard, Brownsville, Texas 78520 | 956-882-8200

Vacation Request

The University provides paid annual leave to benefits-eligible staff employees for vacation or personal time off. Employees must have six months of continuous state employment at any state agency before they can use their accrued annual leave.

Vacation leave up to the maximum allowed may be carried forward from one fiscal year to the next.  Vacation leave exceeding the maximum allowed as of August 31 will be transferred to the employee’s sick leave balance.

Employees must submit a vacation request to their supervisor at least 15 days in advance to use annual leave. When advance notice is not possible, notice should be made as soon as practicable.

The supervisor will review the employee’s request and must approve or deny it within five business days of receiving the request. Supervisors will approve vacation in accordance with the needs of the department and the employee’s preference.

Approved vacation requests signed by the employee and the supervisor should be kept for department records and leave balance reconciliation. Upon the employee’s return from leave, the employee must submit an Absence Report to the Office of Human Resources as soon as possible.

For more information, see the Resources section or contact the Office of Human Resources at 956-882-8205.

For comments and questions, please contact the Webmaster.