Distinguished Alumnus Award
Click here to see this year's recipients.
Make a donation to the Distinguished Alumnus Awards Fund
In 1993, UTB/TSC began the tradition of honoring alumni for their accomplishments and contributions with the Distinguished Alumnus Award. This year, UTB is introducing two new recognitions:
- Distinguished Alumnus Award which recognizes graduates or former students for significant accomplishments in business or professional life or for distinguished human service to their community, state, or nation.
- Young Alumni Award recognizes graduates or former students, age 40 or younger at time of nomination, for significant accomplishments in business or professional life or for service to the university and/or the Alumni Association.
- Alumni Service Award recognizes graduates or former students for specific and meritorious service to their university, community, state or nation.
WHO MAY NOMINATE?
Anyone may submit a nomination.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
To be considered for an award, a graduate or former student must meet the following criteria:
- Must be accomplished in his or her chosen career, profession or life’s work
- Must be an individual who in deed or action reflects and recognizes the importance of his or her education, who demonstrates pride in the alma mater, and whose interest and loyalty are evident
- Must be a person of such integrity, stature, demonstrated ability and renown that the faculty, staff, students and alumni will take pride in and be inspired by the selection
An individual shall be ruled ineligible if:
• He or she is a candidate for any elective public office in the current calendar year or the year in which
the individual may be elected or re-elected.
• He or she is a member of the UT Board of Regents, TSC Board of Trustees, Alumni Association
Board or a member of the UTB/TSC administration.
• He or she cannot, for any reason, be present at the time and place where the award is to be conferred.
WHAT MUST BE SUBMITTED?
- Nomination form : The nomination form must be completed by the nominator and returned to:
Alumni Awards Selection Committee
Office of Alumni Relations
80 Fort Brown, Brownsville, Texas 78520
- Additional Information: Nominators are encouraged to submit additional information to demonstrate his or her nominee's prior recognition by peers, public image, etc., including:
- Letter of support
- Newspaper or magazine clippings
- Other relevant information
- The number of letters of support will not be a significant factor in the committee's deliberation.
A nomination is retained for five years from the time it is received. There is no limit to the number of times a person can be nominated.
WHAT IS THE SELECTION PROCESS?
The DAA Selection Committee consists of the Alumni Association Board President, a Board Member appointed by the Alumni Board President, two former recipients of the Alumni Awards, and the President of UTB, who will serve as committee chair.
WHEN IS THE AWARD ANNOUNCED?
Award recipients will be announced in the fall semester. The Alumni Awards will be presented during the Homecoming celebrations.
The Office of Alumni Relations will receive materials and assist the committee in their work.
WHAT ARE THE EXPECTATIONS OF THE AWARD RECIPIENTS?
Award recipients will be expected to attend the awards ceremony. When possible, recipients will be invited to address students during a class or organizational meeting on a topic that relates to the recipient’s expertise.