One West University Boulevard, Brownsville, Texas 78520 | 956-882-8200

About SEI



It is a program that gives employment opportunities on campus to students, as part of UTB’s student retention and time to graduate strategy.  On a commuter campus, where most students are employed either full or part-time while enrolled, creating jobs on campus enables them to earn money while they learn, it strengthens their relationships with university faculty and staff, and adds greater unity to their educational experience.  

The following are some of the positions identified as meeting the program expectations:  

  • Peer Mentors/Tutors: Helps students to better understand the fundamental concepts and processes inherent in the topics they are studying. 
  • Peer Facilitators: A specially trained student who leads other students through the daily activities, provides on-line and verbal feedback to the students, and assists the students in investigating their research project. 
  • Lab Coordinators: Responsibilities may include attending and supporting students in labs, configuration, exploration, and management of resources, helping students individually, and holding office hours.
  • Supplemental Instruction (SI) Leaders: The SI Leader is a guide who helps other students share and master information as a group. The Leader attends the course for which he/she is assigned and, in evening sessions, works with students to review lecture notes, clarify text material, prepare for tests, and evaluate and improve learning strategies.
  • Instructor Assistants: Student(s) assigned to a faculty member that assist with in-class instructions and/or out-of-class support. 

Creating meaningful work opportunities for our students on campus will provide the following: 

  1. Positively affect the retention of program participants;
  2. Positively affect the retention of the students they work with;
  3. Give students an opportunity to work on campus and create critical campus connections;
  4. Allow us to tap into support services for other students by utilizing our own students as mentors, facilitators, etc.;
  5. Allow us to raise our overall retention rate; and
  6. Positively impact our students’ time to graduate.

Eligibility for the Student Employment Initiative Program

  • Must be pursuing a Bachelor’s Degree for the first time
  • Enrolled 15 credit hours or more, each Fall and Spring semesters
  • A minimum Cumulative  3.0 GPA and Semester GPA of 2.75 or higher
  • Meet SAP (Satisfactory Academic Progress) requirements (70% completion rate)
  • High School Graduate or GED
  • A minimum of 12 credit hours completed in residence as a full-time student at UTB
  • A minimum of 30 credit hours completed for transfer students
  • A maximum of 90 credit hours completed for first time applicants
  • Preference will be given to students whose first semester at UTB was  two years prior SEI application or later.
  • Be a U.S. Citizen, Resident, F-1 Visa International Student or DACA card 

Students will work in a job related to his/her major field of study (maximum of 20hr/wk during the Fall and Spring Semesters) Students will receive a wage of $9.50/hr, the Student Employment Initiative will cover 75% of the salary ($6.75/hr) and the assigned department will cover the remaining 25% ($2.25/hr).

SEI opportunities for Graduate Students


    • Declared Master’s Degree for the first time
    • Enrolled 9 credit hours or more each Fall and Spring Semesters
    • Have and maintain a minimum cumulative and semester GPA of 3.0 or higher
    • U.S. Citizen, Resident, F-1 Visa International Student or DACA card.


    • Completed and Signed SEI Application
    • Class Schedule for the applying semester
    • Updated Unofficial Transcript
    • Updated Master’s Degree Audit
    • Resume
    • Cover Letter

Graduate Students must be recommended by faculty or staff to work under their department. The student then will be directed to Career Services/SEI office in order to apply for the program. Student must apply each semester and meet the criteria.
Graduate students will follow the same hiring procedures as the undergraduate students.

Students will be employed, in a position related to their major field of study or career interest, and will work a maximum of 20 hours per week.  The GSEI Students will receive a wage of $10.00 per hours, of which the Student Employment Initiative program will cover ($7.50) 75% of the salary and the assigned department will cover the remaining ($2.50) 25%.

For comments and questions, please contact the Webmaster.