University graduate admission status does not automatically ensure admission to the Biology Graduate Program. The Biology Department has additional admission requirements for its graduate students. Once the individual’s admission application file is complete and reviewed by the student’s major department, the applicant will be notified in writing of his/her admission status.
Students are admitted under one of the following categories:
Evidence of academic achievement and potential for advanced study and research is required for graduate admission in Biological Sciences. Specific criteria for Unconditional Admission for master’s degree seeking students in Biology are:
- Undergraduate GPA of 3.0
- GRE Verbal score of 500
- GRE Quantitative score of 500
- Two letters of reference from faculty members or supervisors attesting to the applicant’s potential to successfully complete graduate work
- A personal statement from the applicant explaining why he/she wishes to pursue graduate study in biology including professional and personal goals, this letter must include the area of interest, and a short list of preferred faculty research supervisors
- Undergraduate studies in biology including completion of a set of core biology and support courses essentially the same as those required by UTB for the Bachelor Science in Biology. Promising applicants will be considered if lacking some of this preparation but will be required to complete it within the first academic year following acceptance in order to continue in the MS program.
Applicants with an undergraduate GPA of at least 2.5 and/or GRE scores lower than those specified are also encouraged to apply. Notification of decisions on graduate admission is made by the office of Graduate Studies based on the admission criteria and recommendation of the academic department. Information related to application procedures and deadlines is available through the Office of Graduate Studies. Visit our website at
Students not meeting the requirements for Unconditional admission may be granted Conditional Admission. Conditional admission requires the recommendation of the Program Director and approval of the Dean of Graduate Studies. Conditions may be imposed by the academic department. Conditions may require that additional undergraduate or graduate semester hours be taken, that a specific grade point average be maintained or some other requirement be met by the student. If conditions are not met, the student may be barred from subsequent registration in the graduate program. Normally students must satisfy conditions within the first twelve hours of graduate study. A student in Conditional Admission may not hold an assistantship. Conditional admission may be granted if the applicant
- has a GRE score of 600-799
- has a GPA less than the minimum required for Unconditional admission but greater than 2.5
- has less than 12 hrs of upper level biology